Do I need dental x-rays?
Yes. Your dentist is responsible for caring for your teeth, gums, and jawbones as they relate to your teeth and gums. We cannot see or detect hidden changes, developments, or abnormalities in your teeth and jawbones without dental x-rays.
We share your concerns about dental x-rays, and we take every precaution and safeguard to minimize your radiation exposure.
Our X-Ray Process
- We follow a conservative schedule for diagnostic surveys.
- We use only digital film, which requires the lowest amount of exposure time and therefore has the least amount of radiation.
- We focus on technique and placement to eliminate the need for re-takes and additional exposure.
- We provide each patient with a lead radiation apron prior to x-rays being taken.
Check-up x-rays are taken only when indicated and under the following schedule:
- No new pathology for 18 months: X-rays every 12 months
- No new pathology for 36 months: X-rays every 18–24 months
- Full mouth survey: X-rays every 5 years or as indicated
We seek to render the most professional care using state-of-the-art practices and consistent with the standard of care. Dental treatment without necessary dental x-rays is unacceptable, sub-standard, negligent care.
Dental Exams in Fairfax VA
If you still have questions about dental x-rays, please don’t hesitate to contact our Fairfax dental office. We’ll be happy to speak with you and put your mind at ease about our dental x-rays.