Your temporomandibular joints (TMJ) are the most complex joint system in your body. For example, your TMJ or jaw joints allow your mouth to open and close and move from left to right. Because of these joints, you can talk, laugh, eat, and enjoy your normal daily activities.
So what happens if these joints are not functioning correctly? It can result in a jaw joint disorder known as TMD or temporomandibular disorder. TMD can cause painful symptoms like:
- Pain or tenderness when biting or chewing
- Jaw joints locking in the open or closed position
- Frequent headaches or migraines
- Neck and shoulder pain
- Popping and clicking of the jaw joint
For some people, the symptoms of TMD can become quite debilitating and significantly impact the quality of their lives. The good news is that Dr. Fairfax and her team have solutions for TMJ pain in Fairfax, VA.
How We Treat TMD
The first step in successfully treating TMD is to determine its root cause. This is different for every patient. Causes of TMD might be:
- Stress or anxiety
- Bite misalignment
- Missing teeth
- Clenching and grinding (bruxism)
Once we determine what's causing your jaw disorder, Dr. Fairfax can make the proper treatment recommendations, which could include:
- Tooth replacement - with an implant or dental bridge
- Invisalign or orthodontic treatment for correct bite alignment
- Crowns or veneers to rebuild worn teeth
- Nightguards for protection at night from bruxism
Determining the root cause of TMD helps us choose a practical course of action so you can reclaim your life.
Contact Us to Learn More About Solutions for TMD in Fairfax
You don't have to manage the painful symptoms of TMD any longer! Instead, contact Dr. Fairfax & Associates Family Dentistry at (703) 273-1033 to schedule an evaluation and learn more about how we can help you find relief for your jaw pain.