When you have a medical problem, the first place you turn is to your primary care doctor. If you develop a cavity or other dental condition, you call your general dentist.
Your general dentist in Fairfax is like the quarterback of your oral health care team. They oversee and coordinate your dental care and provide the essential services needed for excellent oral health.
Services a General Dentist Provides
A general dentist is well-versed in all areas of oral health care and learns over 100 procedures as part of their training. While some dentists focus on specific areas like orthodontics, the basic services they generally offer are:
- Dental exams and teeth cleanings
- Gum disease treatment
- Tooth fillings
- Dental crowns and bridges
- Emergency dentistry
- Children’s dentistry
- Root canal therapy
- Tooth extraction
The main focus in general dentistry is on dental hygiene and routine checkups. It is always easier to prevent problems than cure them, and keeping your mouth healthy also helps save on dental costs in the long term.
What Happens during a Dental Exam?
You should schedule dental checkups with your general dentist every six months. A typical dental exam includes:
- Discussing any problems you’re currently experiencing, such as bleeding gums, cavities, and tooth sensitivity.
- Reviewing your medical and dental history if you are a new patient
- Checking for gum disease by measuring the spaces or pockets between your teeth and gums
- Evaluating your jaw and dental bite to determine how your upper and lower teeth meet and looking for signs of TMJ problems or teeth grinding.
- Screening for oral cancer
- Taking x-rays as needed to diagnose conditions and update your patient record.
After your exam, you and your dentist will explain their findings and provide recommendations for improving your oral health. If they find a cavity or gum disease, they’ll discuss treatment options with you and arrange subsequent follow-up appointments as needed.
General Dentistry in Fairfax, VA
Dr. Cerina Fairfax has been providing exceptional general dentistry to families in Fairfax for over 15 years. Because of her advanced training, she also offers orthodontic treatment, dental implant placement, and TMJ pain relief.
If you are looking for a new dental home, we would love to welcome you to Dr. Fairfax & Associates Family Dentistry!
Please call our Fairfax, VA dental office to schedule an appointment to get started.