Invisalign in Fairfax VA
Invisalign aligners solve one of the biggest obstacles for Fairfax, VA patients in need of mild orthodontic treatment. If you’re worried that your only option for correcting a misaligned smile is bulky braces and years of treatment, you’ll be pleased to know that Invisalign aligners can do the job quickly, easily, and with a minimum of disruption to your life.
Dr. Cerina Fairfax has been doing Invisalign for years in Fairfax, FA and is a Certified Invisalign Provider and has the expertise to quickly straighten teeth without unsightly metal orthodontics. Invisalign clear aligners are appropriate for older teens and adults with minor crowding and misalignment. They’re a popular alternative to braces because they work quickly and are easy to wear.
The smooth plastic aligners are clear so most people won’t notice you’re wearing them. They’re also much gentler on your mouth than metal or ceramic braces. Best of all, Invisalign aligners are completely removable, so you can take them out for eating, oral hygiene, and special occasions.
We get many questions from patients about clear braces, and we’ve put together a list of some of the most common inquiries, below. We invite you to take a look to see if your questions have been answered. If they haven’t, please give us a call to find out more. Or better yet, give us a call at our Fairfax, VA dental office to make an appointment to come in and talk to Dr. Fairfax about whether or not Invisalign is right for you. Call us today!
- What is the Invisalign process?
- What types of issues does Invisalign fix?
- What are the benefits of Invisalign?
- How long will I have to wear the clear aligners?
- How often will I wear each set of aligners before changing to a new set?
- Are there any food restrictions with Invisalign?
- What if I want to remove the aligners for a special event, such as a family wedding or important meeting?
- How often will I have to visit the dentist during treatment?
- How long will it take to straighten my teeth with Invisalign?
- Will I have to wear a retainer following Invisalign treatment?
- I am ready to take the next step. What should I do?
What is the Invisalign process?
Your Invisalign experience in Fairfax, VA starts with a consultation during which we’ll spend some time talking to you about your goals and expectations. Next, Dr. Fairfax will perform a thorough evaluation including digital x-rays, photographs, and custom impressions, which help her determine the exact position of your teeth and how treatment will proceed.
We’ll take all the information gathered during the evaluation and send it to a special Invisalign lab where your customized aligners will be created. In a couple of weeks, you’ll come back to our Fairfax, VA dental office so we can give you your set of aligners along with precise instructions for their use.
Invisalign treatment uses a series of aligners that are designed to gradually move your teeth into the desired position. Simply wear each set of aligners at least 22 hours every day for two weeks, then move onto the next set. When you change to the next set of aligners you’ll start to notice a subtle change in the position of your teeth. There’s nothing like seeing progress to keep you motivated!
What types of issues does Invisalign fix?
Invisalign can fix several different misalignment problems with the teeth, including:
- Crooked or misaligned teeth
- Overbite and underbite
- Small gaps or spaces between the teeth
- Crowded teeth
What are the benefits of Invisalign?
Patients at our Fairfax, VA dental office find that the most obvious benefit of Invisalign is that the clear plastic aligners are virtually invisible, of course, but there are other benefits of Invisalign treatment:
- Because the aligners are removed for eating, you can enjoy all of your favorite foods—without restriction.
- You don’t need to do anything special to clean your teeth; just brush and floss as you normally would.
- If you are getting your picture taken or are attending a special event, you can remove the aligners for a few hours.
- Invisalign is more comfortable than traditional braces because, unlike with brackets and wires, there are no rough edges to injure the soft tissues of the mouth.
- Although you’ll need to go to the dentist every few months to check on your progress, you won’t have the painful adjustments you would with traditional braces.
- Treatment is generally quicker than with traditional orthodontics, with treatment times averaging anywhere from six to 18 months.
How long will I have to wear the clear aligners?
Treatment times with Invisalign in Fairfax, VA will vary from patient to patient, so you may have to wear the clear plastic aligners for up to 18 months (on average). As far as wearing them each day, you’ll need to commit to wearing the aligners for at least 22 hours a day or you might not achieve your smile goals.
How often will I wear each set of aligners before changing to a new set?
For most patients, we will recommend changing out aligners every two weeks. Dr. Fairfax will provide you with specific instructions.
Are there any food restrictions with Invisalign?
Since Invisalign’s clear plastic aligners are removeable, you can eat whatever you want—without restriction and without worrying about getting food stuck in your braces. Our Fairfax, VA Invisalign patients love this aspect of clear braces.
What if I want to remove the aligners for a special event, such as a family wedding or important meeting?
If you have a special event or will be having your photograph taken, you can remove the aligners for a few hours. Be sure to get back on your 22-hour-per-day schedule as soon as possible, or this could negatively impact your results.
How often will I have to visit the dentist during treatment?
Your at-home Invisalign treatment is supported by visits to our Fairfax, VA office at regular intervals, to be determined by Dr. Fairfax. During these visits we will monitor your progress and make adjustments as necessary.
How long will it take to straighten my teeth with Invisalign?
Treatment times with Invisalign vary depending on each case, and patient compliance is the key to seeing fast results. If you wear the aligners as instructed, it’s possible for us to help you achieve your desired results in a year or less.
Will I have to wear a retainer following Invisalign treatment?
Yes. We recommend that all patients wear a retainer after Invisalign treatment because your teeth will have a tendency to drift back into their original position without one. We can talk to you about retainer options, including a type that looks very much like an Invisalign clear plastic aligner.
I am ready to take the next step. What should I do?
Today, a lot of emphasis is placed on appearance, but the benefits of having a great smile are not just aesthetic. When you’re happy with the way others see you, you feel confident, and that confidence is like a magnet that draws people to you.
Is today the day you take the next step to a smile you’re proud to show off? We’d love to explain more about Invisalign and answer your questions, so please give us a call to arrange a complimentary consultation at Dr. Fairfax & Associates Family Dentistry in Fairfax, VA.